Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tuesday's Meme...about Film!

This is NOT a MySpace survey, or anything similar. This is simply a number of questions that will help you understand my movie choices and reviews. Any resemblance to a networking website chain-mail survey is purely coincidental.

Name a movie you’ve been meaning to see forever: The Graduate is definitely one I've been meaning to check out. But I'm always attracted to the the outer wall at Blockbuster with all the seductive new releases...I'm also working to view the entire works of Stanley Kubrick, and Andrei Tarkovsky (but I need to take both of these directors in small installments).

Steal one costume from a movie for your wardrobe: That tux that James McAvoy wears in Atonement was dope. I'd only to get use it when I'm invited to upper-class meals in 1930s England, but still....

Your favorite film franchise is: The non-pretentious answer is probably James Bond. I was a fan of the Pierce Brosnan dynasty, but the new Daniel Craig era has ushered in a sexier, more orgasmic reign of Bond that keeps me coming back for more. It also helps that the first 'new' Bond girl was the goddess Eva Green. The pretentious answer is Lars Von Trier's "Golden Heart" trilogy in which the heroines remain naïve despite their actions (the trillogy includes Bjork's Dancer in the Dark,

Invite five (living) movie people over for dinner. Who are they? And Why would you invite them?

Angelina Jolie - Mostly because I'd like to discuss the living conditions of refugees, her work as a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN, and to ogle her.

Edward Norton - Because he's brilliant, and most like the most talented actor in Hollywood right now (Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't count as part of the 'Hollywood crowd' because he's so pretentious). His movie choices have never failed to disappointment, although I haven't seen the Woody Allen musical he starred in in the early ninties...

Noah Baumbach - The Squid and the Whale and Margot at the Wedding spoke to me more than most recent contemporary films. He's got a terrific voice.

Sophia Coppola - Her films The Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation capture something completely unique in my opinion, and picking her brain would be terrifically interesting. Also, embarassingly enough, I thoroughly enjoyed Marie Antoinette (but don't tell anyone I know).

And Lastly...Paul Thomas Anderson - Someone with the ability to masterfully direct films ranging from Boogie Nights, Magnolia (one of the best movies ever), Punch Drunk Love, and There Will Be Blood, must have some sort of impressive genius that I would love to discuss.

What is the appropriate punishment for people who answer cell phones in the movie theater? There is no appropriate punishment. These people shouldn't be allowed to visit that theater for a very extended period of time after this infraction. They should also have some sort of fine imposed on them that is roughly equal to 3 days pay. For a college student, that's like $60 bucks, for Bill Gates, it's probably $6,000,000 bucks. People in all tax brackets should be equally afraid to disrupt my moving going experience.

Choose a female bodyguard: Carrie Anne Moss. Did you see her in action in her bitchin' leather suit in The Matrix? She frightens me, and turns me on, it's the perfect mix.

What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever seen in a movie? Remember the scene in Se7en when they cover the 'Lust' scene? You can see the clip here, it's kind of bad quality, but not too graphic. The patron of the prostitute was forced to kill her in a ridiculously awful away. The actor who plays the unfortunate patron forced into murder deserved award nominations for his convincing portrayal of a man who's lost his mind because of what he was forced to do. That scene will stay with me 'til the day I die. The last time I saw that film (2003) it messed me up, and messed me up real good. Second would be the amount of claustrophobic, edge-of-your-seat intensity I felt throughout the entire film The Descent. That movie is really, really scary.

Your favorite genre (excluding "comedy" because that doesn't even count as film): Drama would be hands down. The complexities of realistic human drama provide more than just entertainment, but an insight to society, and sucks the viewer into a world outside of their own. And THAT is what makes great film.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Graduate was another example of a film that was way too over-hyped for me. I'll interested to hear your thoughts on this one.

Unknown said...

Дааа, Тарковского надо смотреть по чуть-чуть и ночью.